Here is the short list of everything that we need in order to release your game:
- Final build, with appropriate branding (see Marketing Requirements FAQ page)
- Marketing art asset and screenshot pack (see Marketing Requirements FAQ page)
Continue reading this page for details about these items.
Mac games must be built to conform to the following:
- Entire application must be bundled as a single .app file. It’s actually a folder that looks like a file, but the point is that Mac users are used to simply dragging and dropping to install applications. This is our most frequent fail case by QA!
- Branding must be for GameHouse and externalized.
- The game should not save data or state in the .app game bundle or modify the .app at all. Most users trying the game are going to run it from the disk image, a read-only location, so their hour-long trial play will not be saved if this is the case.
- Data should only be saved inside the current user’s “Library/Preferences” or “Library/Application Support” folder. Locate this with FSFindFolder if you’re not using CFPreferences/ NSPreferences.
- Correct name should appear in the menu bar.
- Game runs properly even if .app is renamed. Some of our distribution partners require that the actual game name is used as the .app name.
- Game must respond to Quit AppleEvent
Mac versions are preferred, but not required, to be available for simultaneous deployment with PC versions.
In all cases, your GHP Producer / Portfolio Manager will assist you with any problems or issues in Mac development or deployment.
Minimum System Specs
Our system specs are based on visitor information at GameHouse.com. We encourage developers to keep these specs in mind while developing their games, as it ensures that the widest audience can play (and buy) your game. Significantly higher system requirements lead to a definite decrease in sales volume.
- OSX 10.6 or later
- Safari browser
- Intel Architecture (no PPC).
- Build target should be 10.5 or 10.4 more information can be found here
- Game should be able to be ran from inside the bundle:
- Right click on game app and select “Show Package Contents”.
- Go to contents/MacOS/ then double click on the game’s executable.
- Game will open a terminal window and you can follow the messages that the game might send.
- This helps our DRM team establish what is happening with a game and diagnose problems.
Download Size / Drive Space
- Download: 50 MB (compressed) or less is preferred.
- Max hard drive space: 300 MB
Final Build Verification & Compatibility Test Cases
All games undergo a test pass prior to release. Here are the cases that we test against; for smoother deployment, please ensure that your game complies with these prior to submission:
- Verify that on initial launch the game launches into Full-Screen
- Verify the game does not save data in the .app game bundle
- Verify the entire game is bundled in a single .app file
- Verify correct game name appears in the Menu bar
- Verify sound functions with no issues
- Verify that each option available in the Options/Settings menu is saved upon game restart
- Verify that each option available in the Options/Settings menu functions
- Verify that each option available in the main menu leads to the correct area
- Verify that all games have proper GH branding
- Verify that upon entering the in-game help that all information regarding play is complete and correct
- Save a game, quit the program, restart the program and resume the saved game.
- Verify that the user can enter a player name using alpha numeric characters
- Verify no pre-existing player profile exists
- Verify all command key functionality works as intended (Example F9-F11)
- Verify game saves properly on Non-Admin account
- Verify game runs on Non-Admin account
- Verify that the game runs on all supported OSX versions and hardware
Tips: Mac QA Best Practices
While your Producer / Portfolio Manager will work with you during the QA process, it’s imperative for your bottom line that you deliver as bug-free a product as possible. To assist you, here are the 10 most common bugs that cause QA Fails for Mac games, in no particular order.
- Game does not launch on non-administrator account.
- Version numbers are inconsistent in-game and the Get Info file.
- ‘Expose’ options (common Mac key functionality) (F10-F11-F12) do not function as intended.
- Command + H causes desktop to display incorrectly.
- Command + F does not maximize game.
- Command tab does not minimize game.
- Game name is displayed improperly in Finder Menu.
- Game does not launch to full screen on initial launch.
- Game options do not save on subsequent launches.